Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What to Eat When You're Sick - 2009

For the first time since moving to San Diego (0ver 1 yr now) I am officially sick. As in, if I had health insurance, I might go to the doctor for some useless antibiotics and 7 minutes of distracted sympathy. But my application has been pending for a good month now, so I'm resorting to the one-two punch combo of Dayquil and Nyquil. Coupled with some airborne. But I'm just not hungry. Rumor has it these cough meds have some appetite suppressants in them, so they may deserve partial blame. But I know I need to eat to rebuild my body machine and get better, and am thinking Rehydration and Energy So I put together a list of my favorite (questionably healthiest) easiest-to-eat get better foods, and a few drinks. And then asked my wonderful boyfriend to pick them up on his way over.


1) FLAT WARM GINGER ALE
Ginger is supposed to have healing properties. blah blah blah. I like the way it tastes, and it does happen to make my tummy feel better.
Get rid of the fizz by pouring the soda back and forth in 2 cups. Carbonation can make the tummy go fizz fizz fizz as well, and we're trying to prevent that.

2) Think BRAT.
Bananas - Rice - Applesauce - Toast
This was around in our youth, and according to a brief internet search, I found that it still holds true in many circles. They're some basic whole foods that aren't too rough on the tummy, and don't need much prep time.
BANANAS - make sure they are ripe when you buy em. You want em today, not next thursday.
RICE - Brown rice, specifically. While sick, I am really digging those 90 second micro pouches of Uncle Ben's / Trader Joe's.
APPLESAUCE - I didn't look up why this is healthy. but, an apple a day, right? I think that one's been around for awhile, so i'll stick with it. Am guessing the sauce form is easier to digest.
ORGANIC ALERT - Apples are on my Top 10 ALWAYS (try to) BUY ORGANIC List. So try to find an organic applesauce variety. Unless you enjoy pesticides.
To cover up any pesticide flavor, I recommend a sprinkling of cinnamon powder. This works well on pesticide- free varieties as well.
TOAST - Ok to substitute saltines or wheat thins here. But think whole grain and easy on the tum-tum. I also dig whole grain english muffins with a shmear of butter and fruit preserves.

3) BOIL A POT OF WATER for
a- JELLO JUICE!! This is an old family favorite, and one of the only times mom allowed sugar products in the house. Just pour a few tablespoons of powder into a mug. Pour about 1/2 cup hot water over it, or however much more it needs to dissolve. Then add ice and cold water to fill the glass. My favorites are Lime Green and Black Cherry.
b- HOT TEA - Since you made a pot, you might as well pour a few mugs of tea that you can drink throughout the day so you don't have to keep making stuff. Getting up has been overwhelming for me lately. Using the microwave seems really difficult at times. So I like to have 2 or 3 teas, ready to go. Think green tea, ginger, chamomile. Honey is good if you have a sore throat. Try to avoid milk products if you have a cold unless you want to produce even more mucous.

4) (CHICKEN OPTIONAL) NOODLE SOUP- try to get your hands on one of the more whole varieties like boston market makes, or at the hot section of the deli counter at the grocery store. I like to amuse myself and think they're a wee bit fresher than the canned variety. Look for nice thick noodles, plenty of veggies, specifically onion, which should help heal you. Add some garlic if you have it around too. That will help heal you *and* keep the vampires away just in case. And if you have any of that turkey carcass soup from the holidays left in the freezer, now would be the appropriate time to break it out. I would kill for one of those daily soup / hale & hearty type places right now.

5) GATORADE
My recent favorites are the Blue and Purple Gatorade Frost ones from Costco- Officially called Cascade Crash and Riptide Rush, respectively. Although those might sound like things I prefer to avoid while home sick, they seem to hit the spot. I think Gatorade should partner with a soothing spa or medicine company, and come up with slightly less adventurous-sounding names for illness-wrought times like these. I would prefer Tranquil Nourishing Oasis or Restored Breezy Spirit. But they might sound a bit like bath products.


Happy Healing!

No comments: